Summit has a dedicated log export department that both looks after export from our own forest estates and provides complete logistic, marketing and export solutions for forest owners throughout New Zealand.
Working in close partnership with Sumitomo Corporation means we have access to an extensive international business network and well-established log marketing teams in all major reliable export markets throughout Asia and beyond.
As one of the world’s largest and leading trading companies, Summit — in partnership with Sumitomo — is able to provide:
- A global reach for our customer base
- Scale merit for all sales negotiations
- Freight levels leveraged by Sumitomo’s global commodity trade
- Innovative trading solutions
- Access to our worldwide network for related and non-related business activities.
- The majority of our export partners are second-generation sawmillers and end users, which means:
- They require fixed monthly deliveries, unlike wholesalers
- Positive pricing characteristics, similar to our NZ domestic market
- We have more control of our marketing which allows us to maintain our quality brand in the market
- Flexibility as we have strong relationships with an open line of communication.
With Summit forests in Northland, Coromandel, Whanganui and Gisborne, we utilise the ports that support these regions — Marsden Point, Port of Tauranga, and Eastland Port — enabling Summit and partners to benefit from vessel-loading efficiencies within the supply chain.
The strength of an export program isn’t only defined by achieving the highest price in strong markets, but also how strong your relationships are when the market is shaky, ensuring you always have a market to sell to.
Summit focuses on working with reliable partners who open LCs in all conditions, and in turn we work with them on their needs. This allows us to market cargo to the right markets to match the wood quality/ grade mix we have, a strategy has allowed Summit to achieve strong CFR pricing and, in turn, good pricing back to our forest owners.
Our export team’s key focus is creating sustainable growth with long-term partners. Please contact us if you’d like to know more or would like to receive our monthly export market report.